Administering eye drops to your cat
If you are administering the medication on your own, you may find it easiest to place your cat in your lap.
If your cat’s eye is painful, you may need to have someone assist you in restraining your cat by wrapping it in a blanket with only the head exposed.
- Make sure you have carefully read the label and understand the dosing instructions.
- Hold the bottle using your thumb and index finger.
- Use the last two fingers of the same hand to pull back the upper eyelid. Place your remaining fingers under the cat’s jaw to support the head. The lower eyelid will act as a pouch to receive the drops.
- Hold the bottle close to the eye but ensure you DO NOT touch the eye’s surface.
- Squeeze the prescribed number of drops onto the eyeball, aiming for the center of the eye, and then release the head.
- The cat will blink, spreading the medication over the surface of the eye.
Make sure that you wash your hands both before and after administering the medication to prevent the spread of infection.